Info Niagara welcomes every tourist to the City of Fort Erie. Fort Erie is a place with historical importance. The Old Fort Erie played a dramatic role in the War of 1812 and today the city offers a glimpse to those war days. Travel and see the exciting sights of the living history of war.
It was in 1812 President James Madison and the US Congress declared war against Britain. The Old Fort Erie witnessed the bloodiest battle during the war years and remains as a living historical site today. It is told that the history of Canada is an open book before people who visit and stay in Fort Erie. Fort Erie is not only a place with historical sites but also the beaches and playgrounds attract thousands of people to visit Fort Erie.
Travel through the road that follows the Niagara River from Fort Erie to Niagara-on-the-Lake and to Niagara wine country. Sir Winston Churchill was greatly impressed by the majestic beauty after he went along the Niagara River Parkway and said "it was the best Sunday afternoon drive".
The Fort Erie is popular for thoroughbred horse racing. There is also a rail museum and the Ridgeway Battlefield Museum. Play in the cool water of Lake Erie and relax in the hot sandy beaches. Visitors also can go to the Welcome Centre which was recently opened in Fort Erie by Niagara Parks for the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. Tour begins at the Niagara Parks Welcome Centre from 10am. For more information Call at 905-871-0540
You can find many historical sites during your visit to Old Fort Erie. The tours are divided into Ground tours and tour of buildings. Old Fort Erie Monument was built in 1904 in memory of soldiers killed during the war. The Outer Gate is a wooden door made out of huge logs for protection. The Ravelin, which was built by the British Dynasty during 1810 aimed to protect the inner gates. The Curtain Stone Wall, Sally Ports and the Redoubts are all part of Fort Erie Ground Tours. The Guard Room, The Soldiers' Barracks, The Officers' Quarters, The Powder Magazines, The Fire Pits and Gardens and The Officers' Kitchen come under Fort Erie tour of buildings.
Attractions in Fort Erie
- Crystal Beach Crystal Beach is one of Fort Erie's favorite tourist attractions.
- Fort Erie Race Track The Fort Erie Race Track is one of the most picturesque tracks in North America.
- Safari Niagara Safari Niagara is home to some of the most interesting and exotic animals. Safari Niagara offers you interactive educational displays, art exhibits, family fun area, children's playground, gift shop etc
- Fort Erie Historical Museum
- Fort Erie Railway Museum
- Ridgeway Summer Festival The Ridgeway Summer Festival is a fun & entertainment event for two days offering a variety of entertainment for the entire family. Ridgeway Summer Festival runs in July every year since 1990.